Wednesday, January 31, 2007

 
Disciple: Day 9


Like yesterday, I found today’s reading(s) hard to get into. There wasn’t really anything in the Genesis passage (Genesis 2:4-25) that really struck me.

On the other hand, Psalm 8:3-4 did make me stop and reflect: “When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him?” The latter part especially—“what is man…?” reminds of the song “Who Am I?” by Point of Grace:

Over time You've healed so much in me,
And I am living proof.
That although my darkest hour had come,
Your light could still shine through.
Though at times it's just enought to cast,
A shadow on the wall.
I am grateful that you've shined your light on me at all.

CHORUS:

Who Am I,
That you would love me so gently?
Who Am I,
That you would recognize my name?
Who Am I,
That you would speak to me so softly?
Conversation with the Lord most high.
Who Am I?

Oh Amazing Grace how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost,
But now am found.
Was blind,
But now I see.
And the more I sing that sweet old song,
The more I understand.
That I do not comprehend this
Love that's coming from your hand.

CHORUS

Grace, grace.
God's grace.
Grace that will pardon, and cleanse within.
Grace, grace.
God's great grace.
Grace that is greater than all my sin.

CHORUS

Lord, Who Am I?
Who Am I?
Lord Who Am I?
Who Am I?
Who Am I?

When I was struggling with low self-esteem in junior high and early high school, the song was a great comfort to me. It reminded me that however I felt about myself, God loved me and valued me because of who he was not because of who or what I was.

The passage (Psalm 8:3-4) also reminds me of the experience I had at one of my first WAY camps (it was a summer camp, and I think I was in grade 7). Everyone was sitting around the campfire singing and sharing, but I felt a bit awkward, so I sat on the outside of the circle, with my back facing the fire and everyone else. It was cold, but, as I looked up into the night sky, I was filled with awe at the wonder of that vast, starry expanse. I can’t really explain the feeling, but it was such an overwhelming feeling, I was moved to tears.

These passages aren’t just about appreciating nature, though. I think the hymn “For the Beauty of the Earth” really drives home the idea that we can look at anything and everything around us to remind us to be thankful to God. Beyond creation, we can also sing hymns “of grateful praise” for friends, family, the church, and all the time we’ve been given to live—“the wonder of each hour.”

I remember that during our discussion on Sunday I talked about how Day 2 made me think about how appropriate it was for the Bible to use so much nature imagery because the Israelites were surrounded by nature and thus had a constant reminder of God’s presence. While I was talking I realized that we don’t need to seek “nature” to be reminded of God’s, but we do need to seek things to serve as constant reminders. We, as humans, are pretty forgetful. I still don’t spend nearly enough time each day noticing what’s going on around me and appreciating it as a gift from God.

But I’m going to keep trying to do so.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com