Thursday, April 14, 2005
Fixing Our Eyes
Alan posted this a link to this article about accountability in the MCBC forum today, and I think that it made some good points--in both the theoretical and personal senses.
http://www.youthspecialties.com/articles/topics/personal_stuff/accountability.php
Basically everything in the last section which gives the title to the entire article, "Accountability Re-Imagined," was valid and bears thought, but the part that really struck me was this:
Accountability must be proactive for spiritual growth. Hebrews 10:24-25 should be the key verses regarding accountability. We are encouraged to meet together regularly and encourage, spur, literally aggravate each other into being more loving and doing good things. This proactive approach can push sinful habits out by replacing them with positive action.
The last line, especially hit me. I realize now that I may have given a wrong impression in my earlier post about my "secret sin," an impression that the sin was consuming my life and filling me with guilt or something.
As much of a relief as it was to have acknowledged it and to have begun (again) the process of dealing with it, it's not as if it was my biggest "spiritual issue" or anything.
I've said it before, and I'm definitely seeing it now, that serving in the WAY is really what spurs me on to grow spiritually. My desire to become a better role model, counselor, and friend to the WAY kids has and is helping me so much in terms of getting me to pursue a better personal relationship with God.
The stewardship class is great for me too. It's gotten me to think, again, about things I can do to help bring about God's kingdom here on earth. It's encouraged me to try to be "a dreamer of God's dreams."
So yes, as important as I think it was for me to deal with my "secret sin," I think the more important thing is that I'm being challenged to look beyond myself--like "Jesus and Others before Yourself." =P
Alan posted this a link to this article about accountability in the MCBC forum today, and I think that it made some good points--in both the theoretical and personal senses.
http://www.youthspecialties.com/articles/topics/personal_stuff/accountability.php
Basically everything in the last section which gives the title to the entire article, "Accountability Re-Imagined," was valid and bears thought, but the part that really struck me was this:
Accountability must be proactive for spiritual growth. Hebrews 10:24-25 should be the key verses regarding accountability. We are encouraged to meet together regularly and encourage, spur, literally aggravate each other into being more loving and doing good things. This proactive approach can push sinful habits out by replacing them with positive action.
The last line, especially hit me. I realize now that I may have given a wrong impression in my earlier post about my "secret sin," an impression that the sin was consuming my life and filling me with guilt or something.
As much of a relief as it was to have acknowledged it and to have begun (again) the process of dealing with it, it's not as if it was my biggest "spiritual issue" or anything.
I've said it before, and I'm definitely seeing it now, that serving in the WAY is really what spurs me on to grow spiritually. My desire to become a better role model, counselor, and friend to the WAY kids has and is helping me so much in terms of getting me to pursue a better personal relationship with God.
The stewardship class is great for me too. It's gotten me to think, again, about things I can do to help bring about God's kingdom here on earth. It's encouraged me to try to be "a dreamer of God's dreams."
So yes, as important as I think it was for me to deal with my "secret sin," I think the more important thing is that I'm being challenged to look beyond myself--like "Jesus and Others before Yourself." =P