Thursday, February 24, 2005
Join the Crowd?
Okay, so this isn't exactly a devotional/thinking post, per se, but I'm wondering, what's up with Xanga? Obviously I've been pretty out of it, but I just noticed that everyone else seems to be on Xanga. I'm half-seriously thinking about joining too--just to be part of the crowd, I guess--but at the same time...
Probably if I wasn't a WAY counselor I wouldn't really be thinking about this, because I've always thought of this blog as something for myself, but now that I'm a counselor... I guess this sort of ties into something I talked about with Huston, Ivy and Alan tonight, about not feeling like I'm in much of a position to actually counsel.
It's true that a big part of my insecurity is the fact that my struggles are so similar to the kids', but another part of it is that I don't really feel like I am, or have made myself an approachable person. Sure I can talk hockey and school with the kids, but I wonder if any of them would even think about sharing stuff with me outside of the fellowship structure (like Bible studies, prayer time, etc.)
So back to the Xanga thing, I guess the reason why I'm thinking about it is that it'd be a way for me to open up to them, without the awkwardness of face-to-face interactions (something I always have to work at).
But then again, if I did that, I might lose that illusion of privacy that enables me to be so open here. I think if I joined Xanga other MCBC'ers might feel compelled to comment, and as much as I appreciate the comments that I get, the lack of comments also serves its purpose. When I see that no one has commented, it reminds me that I'm not writing to elicit comments. Certainly the knowledge that this is open for people on the world wide web to read means that I will always have a sense of audience in the back of my mind, but like I said earlier, the illusion of privacy is something I need to maintain somewhat.
*sigh* I guess it's something I'll have to think about.
Ah...there's lots more stuff that I want to talk about, but it's late and I'm at Woodlands tomorrow so I guess I'd better sleep.
Okay, so this isn't exactly a devotional/thinking post, per se, but I'm wondering, what's up with Xanga? Obviously I've been pretty out of it, but I just noticed that everyone else seems to be on Xanga. I'm half-seriously thinking about joining too--just to be part of the crowd, I guess--but at the same time...
Probably if I wasn't a WAY counselor I wouldn't really be thinking about this, because I've always thought of this blog as something for myself, but now that I'm a counselor... I guess this sort of ties into something I talked about with Huston, Ivy and Alan tonight, about not feeling like I'm in much of a position to actually counsel.
It's true that a big part of my insecurity is the fact that my struggles are so similar to the kids', but another part of it is that I don't really feel like I am, or have made myself an approachable person. Sure I can talk hockey and school with the kids, but I wonder if any of them would even think about sharing stuff with me outside of the fellowship structure (like Bible studies, prayer time, etc.)
So back to the Xanga thing, I guess the reason why I'm thinking about it is that it'd be a way for me to open up to them, without the awkwardness of face-to-face interactions (something I always have to work at).
But then again, if I did that, I might lose that illusion of privacy that enables me to be so open here. I think if I joined Xanga other MCBC'ers might feel compelled to comment, and as much as I appreciate the comments that I get, the lack of comments also serves its purpose. When I see that no one has commented, it reminds me that I'm not writing to elicit comments. Certainly the knowledge that this is open for people on the world wide web to read means that I will always have a sense of audience in the back of my mind, but like I said earlier, the illusion of privacy is something I need to maintain somewhat.
*sigh* I guess it's something I'll have to think about.
Ah...there's lots more stuff that I want to talk about, but it's late and I'm at Woodlands tomorrow so I guess I'd better sleep.