Friday, March 19, 2004
Tithing
I've let a lot of disciplines slide (devos, prayer/quiet time, etc.), but right now I'm really trying to be faithful in my tithing. You might remember that last month I struggled to pay off a really ridiculously large Visa bill? Well, I've gotten myself into a similar situation again this month. I guess I might as well be totally honest and tell you that my bill for this month is ~$450, and it's due Mar. 30th.
So far I've paid off $300, $100 from my health/dental refund and $200 from my pay today. I've also almost got $50 in toonies, which I'm going to put towards the bill as well, so that leaves me with $100 left to pay. But I don't have any expectations of income until AFTER my payment date, and my savings were basically demolished by the last bill, so... *sigh* It's pretty scary how badly I've handled my money.
Anyway, I DO have enough money to pay off that final $100, but then absolutely ALL of my bank accounts would be nearly depleted. So yeah, that's why I'm really struggling over my offering for this week. I mean, I got paid this week, so based on my gross pay, I should be giving $25 in offering. Now, $25 is nothing when you've got a healthy bank account, but with my credit card bill hanging over my head, I keep thinking about how $25 is a quarter of the amount I have left to pay towards my Visa.
. . .
I already know what I need to do, I guess I just needed to write this all out to push myself to the sticking point.
There. The cheque is written and sealed in an offering envelope. I've got to admit, I don't feel any less worried about my whole credit card situation, but at least I don't feel guilty for "cheating God" now.
I've let a lot of disciplines slide (devos, prayer/quiet time, etc.), but right now I'm really trying to be faithful in my tithing. You might remember that last month I struggled to pay off a really ridiculously large Visa bill? Well, I've gotten myself into a similar situation again this month. I guess I might as well be totally honest and tell you that my bill for this month is ~$450, and it's due Mar. 30th.
So far I've paid off $300, $100 from my health/dental refund and $200 from my pay today. I've also almost got $50 in toonies, which I'm going to put towards the bill as well, so that leaves me with $100 left to pay. But I don't have any expectations of income until AFTER my payment date, and my savings were basically demolished by the last bill, so... *sigh* It's pretty scary how badly I've handled my money.
Anyway, I DO have enough money to pay off that final $100, but then absolutely ALL of my bank accounts would be nearly depleted. So yeah, that's why I'm really struggling over my offering for this week. I mean, I got paid this week, so based on my gross pay, I should be giving $25 in offering. Now, $25 is nothing when you've got a healthy bank account, but with my credit card bill hanging over my head, I keep thinking about how $25 is a quarter of the amount I have left to pay towards my Visa.
. . .
I already know what I need to do, I guess I just needed to write this all out to push myself to the sticking point.
There. The cheque is written and sealed in an offering envelope. I've got to admit, I don't feel any less worried about my whole credit card situation, but at least I don't feel guilty for "cheating God" now.