Wednesday, February 18, 2004
Revelations
Well, I'm 7/7 or however many days it's been since I started Purpose Driven Life. Considering it's 40 days, that doesn't sound like a lot, but for me it's a big thing. As I've mentioned before, a lot of times I'm just reading and not really absorbing as much as I'd like, but the little bit of discipline is very encouraging for me nonetheless.
And while I was on my trip, some of it did really hit home. I can't really remember the specifics of what I read from the book, but I do know that some stuff from my experience in Colorado just clicked with what I read.
Today for instance, I read about how our purpose is to glorify God and a brief description of the ways we can glorify God. Well, one thing that really hit me was the part about glorifying God through loving others as ourselves. Throughout the entire trip Steph and I just kept commenting on how nice everyone in Denver is--the hotel staff, store and restaurant staff, bus drivers, people on the street--and it struck me that simply being nice is one way to show God's love to others. I mean, especially in Toronto everyone's in a hurry, rushing here and there, not looking people in the eye, etc. etc. It's a totally different atmosphere and mindset. I can see now why it's so important to slow down--because when you do, you can take the time to be kind to others. A little smile, a hello, how do you do, makes a big difference.
But the really big thing I realized on the trip is that I CAN put God first. Sounds rather like a given, I know, but for the longest time I've been worried that putting God first would somehow mean giving up all the things I enjoy. I've held back because deep down I've been afraid that God would ask me to give up hockey especially, and to a lesser degree, anime. But during the entire trip I could just feel God's hand and blessings in everything. It wasn't a coincidence that we were able to meet Linden, Ohlund, Aebischer, Liles and Naslund, it was all God. God saw into my heart, saw my worries, and I think this was his way of reassuring me. Yes, he showed me that it's not a matter of giving up hockey for him, because he's in hockey too. If that makes any sense. I don't know, maybe my theology's really twisted and weird, but for the first time I really know that I can trust God with everything in me.
And I don't think it's just because I don't think I have to give up hockey either. Right at the moment of that realization, and even now, I see, as I never did before, that he COULD ask me to give up hockey, and it'd be alright because I finally believe wholeheartedly that he loves me and that everything will work out according to his plan--and most importantly, that his plan is good. I really didn't "get it" before. Yes, the reassurance was tied to hockey, but it went deeper than that.
Geh. I'm just talking myself in circles, I know. But yes, it was an important revelation for me. I know I've still got a long way to go, but I feel like I can step forward now with more faith and confidence in GOD, not just myself.
Well, I'm 7/7 or however many days it's been since I started Purpose Driven Life. Considering it's 40 days, that doesn't sound like a lot, but for me it's a big thing. As I've mentioned before, a lot of times I'm just reading and not really absorbing as much as I'd like, but the little bit of discipline is very encouraging for me nonetheless.
And while I was on my trip, some of it did really hit home. I can't really remember the specifics of what I read from the book, but I do know that some stuff from my experience in Colorado just clicked with what I read.
Today for instance, I read about how our purpose is to glorify God and a brief description of the ways we can glorify God. Well, one thing that really hit me was the part about glorifying God through loving others as ourselves. Throughout the entire trip Steph and I just kept commenting on how nice everyone in Denver is--the hotel staff, store and restaurant staff, bus drivers, people on the street--and it struck me that simply being nice is one way to show God's love to others. I mean, especially in Toronto everyone's in a hurry, rushing here and there, not looking people in the eye, etc. etc. It's a totally different atmosphere and mindset. I can see now why it's so important to slow down--because when you do, you can take the time to be kind to others. A little smile, a hello, how do you do, makes a big difference.
But the really big thing I realized on the trip is that I CAN put God first. Sounds rather like a given, I know, but for the longest time I've been worried that putting God first would somehow mean giving up all the things I enjoy. I've held back because deep down I've been afraid that God would ask me to give up hockey especially, and to a lesser degree, anime. But during the entire trip I could just feel God's hand and blessings in everything. It wasn't a coincidence that we were able to meet Linden, Ohlund, Aebischer, Liles and Naslund, it was all God. God saw into my heart, saw my worries, and I think this was his way of reassuring me. Yes, he showed me that it's not a matter of giving up hockey for him, because he's in hockey too. If that makes any sense. I don't know, maybe my theology's really twisted and weird, but for the first time I really know that I can trust God with everything in me.
And I don't think it's just because I don't think I have to give up hockey either. Right at the moment of that realization, and even now, I see, as I never did before, that he COULD ask me to give up hockey, and it'd be alright because I finally believe wholeheartedly that he loves me and that everything will work out according to his plan--and most importantly, that his plan is good. I really didn't "get it" before. Yes, the reassurance was tied to hockey, but it went deeper than that.
Geh. I'm just talking myself in circles, I know. But yes, it was an important revelation for me. I know I've still got a long way to go, but I feel like I can step forward now with more faith and confidence in GOD, not just myself.