Tuesday, July 22, 2003
WOAH
There's SO much to say about Grenada! I experienced so many things, and feel like I've grown so much that I don't know where to start! I think what I'm going to try to do is I'm going to go through the trip day be day. So today I'll talk about
DAY 1 - Sat. July 5th, 2003:
It was a pretty good sendoff! All the parents were there, and I was surprised that Ben (he got a ride with us) and Deacon Lyndon came as well. Joseph was there too, but that wasn't a surprise. =P
Alice was feeling a bit sick before boarded, but a Rolaid and some prayer seemed to do the trick. In retrospect, that prayer was the beginning of a good practice of praying just about "all the time". We prayed when we were on buses to go places, when people weren't feeling well, before just about everything we did... It was a pretty cool thing, especially since my prayer life at home tends (hopefully tendED) to be sporadic at best. But I'm getting ahead of myself.
We experienced a bit of a delay in Chicago, so we weren't left with much time to get to our plane from San Juan to Grenada. When we were just about to land in San Juan, I joked that we should pray that the plane to Grenada should be delayed so that we wouldn't miss it. I guess as a prayer it worked, since the plane WAS delayed--for two hours!! We didn't reach Grenada until 10-ish, and then we had a one and a half, two hour trip up to the base! I was okay with the delay though, since it gave me time to sit around doing nothing, which I needed after months of fatigue and non-stop busyness.
The boys helped us to put up our mosquito nets with twine and duct tape, which was quite a fun experience. =P Guess we weren't all that skilled at it, though, since I woke up early in the morning with the net around me like a blanket. This would be a frequent occurence during the next two weeks, and an occasional source of great dismay one day in particular. But again, I'm getting ahead of myself.
So that was basically it for the first day. Don't worry, it does get more interesting! ^_^
There's SO much to say about Grenada! I experienced so many things, and feel like I've grown so much that I don't know where to start! I think what I'm going to try to do is I'm going to go through the trip day be day. So today I'll talk about
DAY 1 - Sat. July 5th, 2003:
It was a pretty good sendoff! All the parents were there, and I was surprised that Ben (he got a ride with us) and Deacon Lyndon came as well. Joseph was there too, but that wasn't a surprise. =P
Alice was feeling a bit sick before boarded, but a Rolaid and some prayer seemed to do the trick. In retrospect, that prayer was the beginning of a good practice of praying just about "all the time". We prayed when we were on buses to go places, when people weren't feeling well, before just about everything we did... It was a pretty cool thing, especially since my prayer life at home tends (hopefully tendED) to be sporadic at best. But I'm getting ahead of myself.
We experienced a bit of a delay in Chicago, so we weren't left with much time to get to our plane from San Juan to Grenada. When we were just about to land in San Juan, I joked that we should pray that the plane to Grenada should be delayed so that we wouldn't miss it. I guess as a prayer it worked, since the plane WAS delayed--for two hours!! We didn't reach Grenada until 10-ish, and then we had a one and a half, two hour trip up to the base! I was okay with the delay though, since it gave me time to sit around doing nothing, which I needed after months of fatigue and non-stop busyness.
The boys helped us to put up our mosquito nets with twine and duct tape, which was quite a fun experience. =P Guess we weren't all that skilled at it, though, since I woke up early in the morning with the net around me like a blanket. This would be a frequent occurence during the next two weeks, and an occasional source of great dismay one day in particular. But again, I'm getting ahead of myself.
So that was basically it for the first day. Don't worry, it does get more interesting! ^_^