Monday, June 23, 2003

 
Preparation

Yesterday was the softball league's Opening Ceremonies, and I think things went pretty well. I didn't deliver my blurb on the theme very well, and I didn't use the verse about "have life, and have it to the full" that I wanted to because I couldn't remember where it is in the Bible, but that was okay. And I think that a large part of why it was okay was the fact that I took about 20-25min beforehand in solitude.

I decided not to take up any offers to go out for lunch, but instead, right after church started photocopying the stuff I needed to get done. Then I went to a nearby Tim Horton's, picked up lunch, brought it back to the church, ate quickly, and finished stapling the stuff I had photocopied together by around 1:30pm. The other committee members were supposed to come around 2pm to start setting up, so I wanted to have time to quiet down and to pray.

It was a nice day, so I took my Bible, went outside and sat on a big rock in our sideyard. I didn't expect it to be one of those "enlightening" times; and it wasn't. But it was a lovely little slice of time when I wasn't doing something or worrying about how much I had to do, and I really needed that.

As relaxed and "unstructured" as the Opening Ceremonies were, I think that I could have been a lot more high strung about it if I hadn't taken the time earlier to sit down and pray.

That's the one problem I see with this year's committee. We get things done well, but we don't spend enough time just praying together. (Last year was more like the opposite problem, I think. =P) It really feels funny that i am the one saying this as well. Usually I'm the one who's all business and forgets that this is a ministry I guess this change in attitude probably has something to do with the fact that I've been feeling so stressed out and in need of prayer this year, without necessarily being stressed out by the softball work.

I mean, last year I was feeling very busy and stressed, but that was because of softball and the way we did everything so last minute. This year I've been feeling guilty about not carrying my weight because I've been busy with other stuff. *shrug* I don't know. Maybe this could just be a sign of some growth since last year; I've started to really realize the importance of prayer, both individual, and especially corporate.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com