Saturday, April 26, 2003

 
Friends?

As part of our short term mission preparation today, we were asked to write out the names of a maximum of five "best friends" and a minimum of ten "close friends". The best friends are the ones we can share everything with, and whom we can ask to pray for us once a week before the trip and daily during the trip. Close friends are people we're pretty tight with, and whom we can ask to pray for us once a week (I think). Anyway, it was a bit disheartening to realize how difficult it was for me to think of people for either category.

One of my best friends is also going on the trip, so I can't put her down, leaving me with only one person I could put in that category no problem. Well, I was thinking about one other person, but he's going out with someone else who's going on the trip, so I thought it might be a bit much if both of us asked for that type of prayer support and I didn't want to put him in an awkward position, so... Hey! I actually just thought of one more person to add to my best friends list. Phew. Actually the one friend I already had was also on the list of the best friend I said is going on the trip, so again, it might be a bit much to have two people asking for the same type of support. Although, now that I think about it a bit more logically, I don't really know why I'm worrying about whether one or more people ask the same person for "best friend" prayer support: it can't be that much more difficult to pray for two people on the same trip if you're already praying for one.

Anyway, as for the close friends list, I had difficulty coming up with five names, much less ten. Either I totally underestimate people, or I'm pretty anti-social. I suspect it's the latter. (-_-;) Man, I've always thought of myself as too independent and self-absorbed, but it's kind of depressing to realize how right I was.

But yeah, I guess I shouldn't take things so seriously or think so negatively.

Apart from mission trip stuff, I've been kind of plugging away at memorizing James. It's a lot harder than I thought it would be. I've still got James 1:1-8 down pretty solid, but verses 9-18, which I just learned on Friday are pretty shaky. I don't even know if I can still do it... Well, I'm going to try, so bear with me:

James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ.

To the twelve tribes scattered among the nations:

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trial of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does.

The brother in humble circumstances ought to take pride in his high position. But the one who is rich should take pride in his low position, because he will pass away like a wild flower. For the sun rises with scorching heat and withers the plant, its blossom falls, and its beauty is destroyed. In the same way, the rich man will fade away even as he goes about his business.

Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test he will receive the Crown of Life that God promised to those who love him.

When tempted, no one should say "God is tempting me". For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does God tempt anyone; but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is lured away and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full grown, gives birth to death.

Do not be deceived, my brothers, every good and perfect gift comes from above, down from the Father of heavenly lights who does not change like shifting shadows. He chose to give us birth through the Word of Truth so that we might be a kind of first fruits of all creation.

James 1: 1-18

Hmm...Well, I didn't get the second part 100% correct in terms of wording or punctuation, but all the right ideas and points were maintained, so I guess that's good. *sigh* Gotta work harder though, and get that second part learned as well as the first! Man, I can't believe I'm not even through the first chapter yet... Who knew memorizing something for keeps (hopefully) could be so difficult.

Trying...

Just trying to get something up before midnight, so I won't have missed another day! =P

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com