Tuesday, February 04, 2003
Witnesses Unto Me
I actually finished reading Romans on Friday or Saturday, so until I've decided on a new book (of the Bible), I'm reading using "My Utmost for His Highest".
The entry for today made reference to a well known verse: "But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth." ~ Acts 1:8 KJV The part that was stressed, as you can guess from my title for today's post, was "ye shall be witnesses unto me".
As Oswald Chambers points out, Jesus isn't calling us to tell other about what he's done for us or through us, but to give ourselves up to Jesus to such an extent that everything we do is done by him, and everything that happens to us happens to him.
It's still a mind boggling concept, even though I'm sure I've read this particular devotion at least three of four times in the past. I'm nowhere near that point yet, but I guess I can keep reminding myself that that's what God is asking of us--total self-abandonment.
I actually finished reading Romans on Friday or Saturday, so until I've decided on a new book (of the Bible), I'm reading using "My Utmost for His Highest".
The entry for today made reference to a well known verse: "But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth." ~ Acts 1:8 KJV The part that was stressed, as you can guess from my title for today's post, was "ye shall be witnesses unto me".
As Oswald Chambers points out, Jesus isn't calling us to tell other about what he's done for us or through us, but to give ourselves up to Jesus to such an extent that everything we do is done by him, and everything that happens to us happens to him.
It's still a mind boggling concept, even though I'm sure I've read this particular devotion at least three of four times in the past. I'm nowhere near that point yet, but I guess I can keep reminding myself that that's what God is asking of us--total self-abandonment.