Friday, February 07, 2003
Trusting in Prayer
Wow, it's totally cool how once you start thinking about an issue, you think of and find more and more things that just tie into that issue and further inform you about it. I haven't talked about it for a while, but all of the Sunday discussions about how to really trust in God in prayer are still fresh in my heart and mind. So yeah, when I read today's devo from "My Utmost for His Highest" it was really meaningful:
Isn't that amazing? What a perfect, concise summary of all the ideas that have been rolling around in my head that is! The funny thing is I must've read this at least three or four times before, but I can't recall it making such an impact on me before. I guess that kind of shows how as you grow God reveals more things to you.
Wow, it's totally cool how once you start thinking about an issue, you think of and find more and more things that just tie into that issue and further inform you about it. I haven't talked about it for a while, but all of the Sunday discussions about how to really trust in God in prayer are still fresh in my heart and mind. So yeah, when I read today's devo from "My Utmost for His Highest" it was really meaningful:
| Whenever the insistence is on the point that God answers prayer, we are off the track. The meaning of prayer is that we get hold of God, not of the answer. [. . .]
We look for visions from heaven, for earthquakes and thunders of God's power (the fact that we are dejected proves that we do), and we never dream that all the time God is in the commonplace things and people around us. If we will do the duty that lies nearest, we shall see Him. One of the most amazing revelations of God comes when we learn that it is in the commonplace things that the Deity of Jesus Christ is realized. |
Isn't that amazing? What a perfect, concise summary of all the ideas that have been rolling around in my head that is! The funny thing is I must've read this at least three or four times before, but I can't recall it making such an impact on me before. I guess that kind of shows how as you grow God reveals more things to you.