Wednesday, February 05, 2003
Serving
The thing about "My Utmost for His Highest" is that it always makes me stop and think, and it's often very hard hitting too. Today's verse, for example, was Philippians 2:17: "Yea, and if I be offered upon the sacrifice and service of your faith, I joy and rejoice with you all". Doesn't sound too hard hitting right? Well, here's what Mr. Chambers had to say/ask in connection with the verse:
Quite honestly my answer, especially to the first question, is no. No, I'm not ready to become an insignificant nothing in the eyes of people. I mean, when my parents make comments about how I don't do the dishes, I always get all fired up and retort that I do so do the dishes, don't you remember when... Even in such a small thing I'm unwilling to simply do the work without being given credit for it. As always, I have such a long way to go before I can even come anywhere near this type of servanthood.
The thing about "My Utmost for His Highest" is that it always makes me stop and think, and it's often very hard hitting too. Today's verse, for example, was Philippians 2:17: "Yea, and if I be offered upon the sacrifice and service of your faith, I joy and rejoice with you all". Doesn't sound too hard hitting right? Well, here's what Mr. Chambers had to say/ask in connection with the verse:
| Are you ready to be be not so much as a drop in a bucket--to be so hopelessly so insignifican that you are never thought of again in connection with the life you served? Are you willing to spend and be spent; not seeking to be ministered unto, but to minister? Some saints cannot do menial work and remain saints because it is beneath their dignity. |
Quite honestly my answer, especially to the first question, is no. No, I'm not ready to become an insignificant nothing in the eyes of people. I mean, when my parents make comments about how I don't do the dishes, I always get all fired up and retort that I do so do the dishes, don't you remember when... Even in such a small thing I'm unwilling to simply do the work without being given credit for it. As always, I have such a long way to go before I can even come anywhere near this type of servanthood.