Sunday, February 09, 2003

 
Early Preparation

Well, I've spend two whole terms in the "Applying the Message" class, and as much as I've enjoyed it, and as much as it's stretched me and forced me to really think about the message in terms of my own life, I think it's about time for a change.

Since I've decided to join the class about Hebrews next term, I thought I should start preparing myself (besides, I haven't had a particular book to read since the end of January, so it was about time that I picked one). Actually, I haven't totally decided, because the class dealing with Ecclesiastes sounds pretty interesting too, especially considering how confused I got reading it.

Anyway, if I do finally decide on the Hebrews class it'll be good for me to go in having read and meditated on the book. Kind of like how in my EAS 102 class last year I did all the readings and thought about them, so that when I went to the lectures they had more meaning because I was able to concentrate on the significance, meaning, and analysis of the works, rather than the contents.

So I read the first chapter today, and I'd really be interested in knowing why knowing "the Son [is] superior to the angels" is important. I really haven't a clue. Probably I should look up some commentary on the chapter, but I'm feeling a bit lazy right now. ^^;; Plus I want to sleep early since I've got a Japanese quiz tomorrow morning.

Oh, and on a totally unrelated note, I'm thinking about teaching grade seven or eight Sunday school for the summer term. Initially I only wanted to do it because I need to start building up experience for my teacher's college application, but now that I think of it, I think it would be a really great learning experience (for me, and hopefully for the kids as well). Plus, now that I'm out of the WAY, I feel very disconnected from the younger people in the church, so it'd be a good way to get to know some of them. But still, it's something I really need to pray about. With softball and the mission trip (although that's still in the air), it might be a bit much to throw Sunday school into the mix this summer as well. Last year with just work and softball I was already feeling dead, so yeah, I might not be able to handle all that--although I'm sure others juggle a lot more than that at times, I've got horrible time management skills, so I don't want to push it. Pray pray pray about it, I guess that's what I'll do for now.

Another thing I'd really love to be able to do is to volunteer with Hockey Ministries International. Since I don't have any connection to the hockey world apart from being a passionate fan and spectator, I don't think it's very likely that I'd be able to volunteer with them, though. ^^;; If somehow I was able to, I'd definitely make room for it. It's not everyday that you're lucky enough to find an organization that combines the most important part of your life with one of your greatest passions.

Hmm....Now that I think of it, I've always wanted to be more of a missionary in the anime world. I've always thought myself blessed to be a member of a community of interest where I could probably do a lot as a Christian. There are so many issues of morality that come up when you're an anime fan. But I've never really done anything about it. I think I'd like to start a forum or ML for Christians, as a place to discuss things like pirating and the dangers of otakudom. Wish I could think of a better way to use my knowledge of the anime fan community to share the gospel, though. Because of my strong opinions on things like pirating I'm always afraid of coming out sounding like some self-righteous prig.

The problem with having a separate devo blog is that it gives me a tendency to compartmentalize. Now I almost exclusively post "Christian things" in this blog, anime and daily life things in LS, and hockey stuff in RHF (although hockey is the subject most likely to flow over into other blogs). I have to make more of an effort to include my spiritual life in LS, I think, since a lot of the blog friends I've made read that blog.

Geh. This is a huge post! It's getting late too, so I'd better stop here.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com