Saturday, January 25, 2003

 
The Point?

I think I've probably come to the end of the heavily predestination/free will part of Romans, and even though the issue is still far from settled in my mind, I think the most important thing to draw from these past few chapters is summed up well in the doxology:

Oh, the depths of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out! "Who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has been his counselor?" "Who has ever given to God, that God should repay him?" For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be the glory forever! Amen. ~ Romans 11: 33-36


Whether it is predestination of free will, the fact remains that we are only saved because of God's mercy. So why not just hold onto that and be glad, knowing that whatever the cause (predestination or free will), the result is that we are saved.

Oh, and I just remembered now, but when I was talking about last Sunday (on the 21st) I neglected to mention that after the sermon and Sunday school I really saw the story of Samson in a new light. I think that of all the people in the Bible, Samson might just be the one easiest to relate to. I mean, when you consider all of the restrictions placed on Samson as a Nazirite (not to drink wine or eat anything of the grape, to stay away from dead bodies, &etc.) and the way he consistently broke them, you really get a picture of a guy who's always doing the wrong thing. Not only did he kill the lion, but he also ate honey from it's carcass, so obviously he wasn't staying away from corpses, right? And that's not even taking the whole Delilah thing into consideration. But in Hebrews Samson is still included as a man of faith.

Isn't that encouraging? Samson messed up so many times, he repeated his mistakes time and again, but because of his final act of faith, he was still counted as faithful. And we aren't even ruled by law, as he was, but by faith alone! Amazing.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com