Friday, January 10, 2003
Jesus, Law and Judgement
Unfortunately the problem with doing my devo so late (it's almost 3am, on Sat. Jan. 10th right now) is that my brain probably isn't working at full capacity. Reading Romans chapter two I came across a whole chunk of verses that talk about the law and judgement, and that immediately reminded me of another verse about Jesus and how he came to free us from the law or something like that. After quite a bit of searching I found the verse/passage in Galatians. The thing is, I'm not exactly sure how the two passages can work together.
I think I'm going to reflect on these passages again tomorrow, hopefully earlier in the day, so that I can come to a better understanding of them. Anyway, here's the passage from Romans:
Actually, I'd be interested to know whether of not the original Greek or Hebrew or whatever word in the scripture carried the same connotation as the word "consciences" in that second last sentence, but that's another matter.
This is the Galations passage:
You know, it took me quite a long time to find this passage. At first I thought that Jesus himself said something about coming to deliver us from the law, so I looked through the gospels. Then when it wasn't there I just started working through the rest of the New Testament, starting from Acts and skimming my way through to Galatians. If it hadn't been in Galatians, but 1 Thessalonians or something, I would've had to have just gone through everything first. I guess that's why it's so important to hide God's word in your heart--that or have a reference handy. Really I wished that I had a good concordance with me when I thought of that verse. Maybe I should look into getting one. But I digress.
Funny, but while I was typing out the verses I lost some of my confusion. I'm still not sure I'm totally getting it, but I think I've got a better idea of what's going on now. See, when I first read the passages I thought there was something wrong because the Romans passage talked about being judged under the law, but Galatians said that thanks to Christ we are no longer under the law. But now that I think of it, although Romans says that "all who sin under the law will be judged by the law" it doesn't say that everyone is under the law. So maybe that's where this whole Galatians passage fits in!
It says that no one can be righteous under the law (something echoed in the rest of Romans chapter two, following the passage I quoted) so that's why Jesus had to come to free us from the bondage of the law! Under the law, without offerings/sacrifices for our sins, we would all be judged and found unrighteous before God, but with Jesus' death and sacrifice we are able to be found righteous through our faith in him.
But then the thing thats still a bit off to me is the part of Romans that says that "all who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law" because wouldn't we then fall under that category? And the way it's worded makes it makes it sound like anyone who's not under the law will certainly perish. But maybe I'm just being nitpicky here and confusing myself, and it's not just two categories of law and apart from the law, but three: law, apart from the law, and under faith.
I don't really know. Anyway, I think what I've really learned is how important it is to really know your Bible. I probably would've just skimmed over what I read in Romans today if I hadn't vaguely recalled the verse from Galatians. So the more I get to know what the Bible says, specifically, the deeper I'll be able to go in my studies of it because I'll be able to cross-reference passages and whatnot. ::shakes head:: Yeah, another one of those statements of the obvious, but I guess even though I know these things somewhere in my head, I don't really get them, if you see my meaning.
Unfortunately the problem with doing my devo so late (it's almost 3am, on Sat. Jan. 10th right now) is that my brain probably isn't working at full capacity. Reading Romans chapter two I came across a whole chunk of verses that talk about the law and judgement, and that immediately reminded me of another verse about Jesus and how he came to free us from the law or something like that. After quite a bit of searching I found the verse/passage in Galatians. The thing is, I'm not exactly sure how the two passages can work together.
I think I'm going to reflect on these passages again tomorrow, hopefully earlier in the day, so that I can come to a better understanding of them. Anyway, here's the passage from Romans:
| All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God's sight, but those who obey the law who will be declared righteous. (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law, since they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences are also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accusing, even now defending them.) This will take place on the day when God will judge men's secrets through Christ Jesus, as my gospel declares. ~ Romans 2:12-16 |
Actually, I'd be interested to know whether of not the original Greek or Hebrew or whatever word in the scripture carried the same connotation as the word "consciences" in that second last sentence, but that's another matter.
This is the Galations passage:
| Is the law, therefore, opposed to the promises of God? Absolutely not! For if a law had been given that could impart life, then righteousness would certainly have come by the law. But the scripture declares that the whole world is prisoner of sin, so that what was promised, being given through faith in Jesus Christ, mught be given to those who believe. Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed. So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law. ~ Galatians 3:21-25 |
You know, it took me quite a long time to find this passage. At first I thought that Jesus himself said something about coming to deliver us from the law, so I looked through the gospels. Then when it wasn't there I just started working through the rest of the New Testament, starting from Acts and skimming my way through to Galatians. If it hadn't been in Galatians, but 1 Thessalonians or something, I would've had to have just gone through everything first. I guess that's why it's so important to hide God's word in your heart--that or have a reference handy. Really I wished that I had a good concordance with me when I thought of that verse. Maybe I should look into getting one. But I digress.
Funny, but while I was typing out the verses I lost some of my confusion. I'm still not sure I'm totally getting it, but I think I've got a better idea of what's going on now. See, when I first read the passages I thought there was something wrong because the Romans passage talked about being judged under the law, but Galatians said that thanks to Christ we are no longer under the law. But now that I think of it, although Romans says that "all who sin under the law will be judged by the law" it doesn't say that everyone is under the law. So maybe that's where this whole Galatians passage fits in!
It says that no one can be righteous under the law (something echoed in the rest of Romans chapter two, following the passage I quoted) so that's why Jesus had to come to free us from the bondage of the law! Under the law, without offerings/sacrifices for our sins, we would all be judged and found unrighteous before God, but with Jesus' death and sacrifice we are able to be found righteous through our faith in him.
But then the thing thats still a bit off to me is the part of Romans that says that "all who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law" because wouldn't we then fall under that category? And the way it's worded makes it makes it sound like anyone who's not under the law will certainly perish. But maybe I'm just being nitpicky here and confusing myself, and it's not just two categories of law and apart from the law, but three: law, apart from the law, and under faith.
I don't really know. Anyway, I think what I've really learned is how important it is to really know your Bible. I probably would've just skimmed over what I read in Romans today if I hadn't vaguely recalled the verse from Galatians. So the more I get to know what the Bible says, specifically, the deeper I'll be able to go in my studies of it because I'll be able to cross-reference passages and whatnot. ::shakes head:: Yeah, another one of those statements of the obvious, but I guess even though I know these things somewhere in my head, I don't really get them, if you see my meaning.