Thursday, January 30, 2003
Endings and Beginnings
I finally finished the Screwtape Letters today. When I try to recall now, what I have learned, I sadly draw a blank. The one thing that I remember is the quote typed on the slip of paper I used as a bookmark while I was reading:
So what I've gained from this book is a desire to read and study God's word more diligently, and to spend more "QT" with him so that I might know his commands and will for me and obey.
Anyway, that was one "ending". Another one is the proposed mission trip to Spain. I got an email today that basically said that the trip's been vetoed. I'm not exactly sure why (there were reasons given, but they weren't really explained to my satisfaction), but I guess I have to accept and trust that it's God's will. It's kind of ironic though, because only yesterday (this morning?) I sent off an email telling the people writing reference letters for me to send the references off to the mission agency, and I also got permission from my boss to take the time off in the summer, so I thought everything was falling into place when actually the whole thing just kind of went into a state of limbo.
As for beginnings, well, my dad finally got a new job! It's funny, but I'm not actually all that excited about it. I guess it's because it's not really a surprise? I mean, I didn't even know that he had applied for a job at CIBC, but I knew he was still looking, and I guess I assumed that God would provide a job when the time was right. Of course I'm not taking it for granted that God provided this job at this time! I'm very thankful. A good way to start the new lunar year.
Another beginning that is coming up is the start of the new softball committee. Tomorrow is the deadline I gave to the people who were interested in the committee, so hopefully everyone will remember to email me with their replies, whether it's yes or no. So far I've had two confirmations, and one offer to help in a specific task. ^_^ I think God's really going to do awesome things with softball this year, and I'm grateful that I can be a part of it.
I finally finished the Screwtape Letters today. When I try to recall now, what I have learned, I sadly draw a blank. The one thing that I remember is the quote typed on the slip of paper I used as a bookmark while I was reading:
| Do not be deceived, Wormwood. Our cause is never more in danger than when a human no longer desiring, but still intending, to do our Enemy's will, looks upon a universe from which every trace of his seems to have vanished, and asks why he has been forsaken, and still obeys. ~ Letter VIII |
So what I've gained from this book is a desire to read and study God's word more diligently, and to spend more "QT" with him so that I might know his commands and will for me and obey.
Anyway, that was one "ending". Another one is the proposed mission trip to Spain. I got an email today that basically said that the trip's been vetoed. I'm not exactly sure why (there were reasons given, but they weren't really explained to my satisfaction), but I guess I have to accept and trust that it's God's will. It's kind of ironic though, because only yesterday (this morning?) I sent off an email telling the people writing reference letters for me to send the references off to the mission agency, and I also got permission from my boss to take the time off in the summer, so I thought everything was falling into place when actually the whole thing just kind of went into a state of limbo.
As for beginnings, well, my dad finally got a new job! It's funny, but I'm not actually all that excited about it. I guess it's because it's not really a surprise? I mean, I didn't even know that he had applied for a job at CIBC, but I knew he was still looking, and I guess I assumed that God would provide a job when the time was right. Of course I'm not taking it for granted that God provided this job at this time! I'm very thankful. A good way to start the new lunar year.
Another beginning that is coming up is the start of the new softball committee. Tomorrow is the deadline I gave to the people who were interested in the committee, so hopefully everyone will remember to email me with their replies, whether it's yes or no. So far I've had two confirmations, and one offer to help in a specific task. ^_^ I think God's really going to do awesome things with softball this year, and I'm grateful that I can be a part of it.