Saturday, December 14, 2002
Going Deeper
You know, the more I read the Bible, the more I want to spend a year in Tindale. Going through the Bible on my own shows me just how immature I still am as a Christian. Sure I can get personal meaning from passages, but there's a lot of more academic (for lack of a better word) stuff I would love to learn.
For example, today I read Proverbs 14, and although each individual chunk of wisdom was pretty much straightforward and understandable, I really wanted to know why the chapter was set apart the way it was. What is the bigger theme that connects all those seemingly disparate pieces of wisdom?
And of course, as I've mentioned before, my foray into Ecclesiastes has certainly shown me how much I can still be taught (forget the post-modern disdain for being taught!). The sad thing is that I remember doing a Bible study on Ecclesiastes before, I just can't remember what I learned then! ^^;;
Anyway, I've talked it over with my father a bit, and he would actually really like for me to spend a year in seminary, which is great, since that's what I'd like to do once I get my bachelor. I guess I take it for granted, but I'm really blessed to have the full support of my family (and friends) in my development as a Christian.
Oh, and on a totally different note (sorry, I'm jumping around a lot tonight), I read this passage in the "Screwtape Letters" and it really jumped out at me:
Even though I've read it numerous times--it's on a bookmark that I received with the book--it still strikes me every time. Often when I don't "feel" like God is with me, I wonder what I'm doing wrong and worry about that. But this passage suggests that instead of simply despairing (although that may be a bit of a stronger description than what I actually feel) I should concentrate on doing God's will, to the best of my ability. Even if I don't necessarily get it right, as long as I truly seek to follow God, my efforts will still be pleasing to him. That's an immensely comforting and challenging thought.
You know, the more I read the Bible, the more I want to spend a year in Tindale. Going through the Bible on my own shows me just how immature I still am as a Christian. Sure I can get personal meaning from passages, but there's a lot of more academic (for lack of a better word) stuff I would love to learn.
For example, today I read Proverbs 14, and although each individual chunk of wisdom was pretty much straightforward and understandable, I really wanted to know why the chapter was set apart the way it was. What is the bigger theme that connects all those seemingly disparate pieces of wisdom?
And of course, as I've mentioned before, my foray into Ecclesiastes has certainly shown me how much I can still be taught (forget the post-modern disdain for being taught!). The sad thing is that I remember doing a Bible study on Ecclesiastes before, I just can't remember what I learned then! ^^;;
Anyway, I've talked it over with my father a bit, and he would actually really like for me to spend a year in seminary, which is great, since that's what I'd like to do once I get my bachelor. I guess I take it for granted, but I'm really blessed to have the full support of my family (and friends) in my development as a Christian.
Oh, and on a totally different note (sorry, I'm jumping around a lot tonight), I read this passage in the "Screwtape Letters" and it really jumped out at me:
| He wants them to walk and therefore takes away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there He is pleased even with their stumbles. Do not be deceived, Wormwood. Our cause is never more in danger than when a human, no longer desiring, but still intending, to do our Enemy's will, looks round upon a universe from which every trace of Him seems to have vanished, and asks why he has been forsaken, and still obeys (p.31). |
Even though I've read it numerous times--it's on a bookmark that I received with the book--it still strikes me every time. Often when I don't "feel" like God is with me, I wonder what I'm doing wrong and worry about that. But this passage suggests that instead of simply despairing (although that may be a bit of a stronger description than what I actually feel) I should concentrate on doing God's will, to the best of my ability. Even if I don't necessarily get it right, as long as I truly seek to follow God, my efforts will still be pleasing to him. That's an immensely comforting and challenging thought.