Friday, December 27, 2002
A God Thing
When I heard that Joshua Harris had written a second book, "Boy Meets Girl", I was very interested because I had found "I Kissed Dating Goodbye", his first book, so inspiring. For some unknown reason, however, I never picked the book up.
Since our Sunday class is in the church library I noticed "Boy Meets Girl" on the bookshelf and mentioned to a friend, also in the class, that it was too bad that I forgot my library card number because I'd like to read the book. Apparently she filed that information away because she gave me my Christmas present today (technically yesterday, Boxing Day) and it was a copy of "Boy Meets Girl"!
Anyway, I wasn't really planning on jumping into the book today--I still have two books to read for homework before the end of the break and I'm still not finished with LotR: FotR, even though I started it quite a while ago--but I wanted something to read while I was burning listening copies of my cds, and when I went into my room, the book was there, so...
I think my coming to this book now, two weeks after writing about why I know I'm not ready for a relationship right now, and about a month after coming up with my new list principle is totally a God thing. If I had read the book earlier it might not have been so relevant, or struck me so deeply.
Chapter 4 is entitled "Tell Me How, Tell Me Who, Tell Me When! How God Guides You to the Right Thing at the Right Time" and it totally speaks to the things I was thinking about two weeks ago when I wrote about Boys Again. The portion of the chapter subtitled "Wanting It Too Much" really made me look at my desire for a relationship more carefully. Certainly I recognized two weeks ago that I didn't have the proper perspective on relationships, but until I read the chapter I was just denying my wrong desires, rather than changing my desire to be for God.
You know, most of my life I've thought of myself as pretty clever, but it's times like these that I realize just how slow I am; I can understand things, get that flash of insight, pretty easily, but it takes me a really long time to truly get things. ::shakes head:: Thank goodness God is so patient!
At any rate, reading "Boy Meets Girl" has renewed my desire to really work on becoming a Godly person. Even after I wrote my list I was kind of stuck with the belief that I'd start changing myself when I started thinking about relationships. A rather silly thing to think, now that I reflect on it. The time to work on becoming a better, more Christ-like person is always NOW!
When I heard that Joshua Harris had written a second book, "Boy Meets Girl", I was very interested because I had found "I Kissed Dating Goodbye", his first book, so inspiring. For some unknown reason, however, I never picked the book up.
Since our Sunday class is in the church library I noticed "Boy Meets Girl" on the bookshelf and mentioned to a friend, also in the class, that it was too bad that I forgot my library card number because I'd like to read the book. Apparently she filed that information away because she gave me my Christmas present today (technically yesterday, Boxing Day) and it was a copy of "Boy Meets Girl"!
Anyway, I wasn't really planning on jumping into the book today--I still have two books to read for homework before the end of the break and I'm still not finished with LotR: FotR, even though I started it quite a while ago--but I wanted something to read while I was burning listening copies of my cds, and when I went into my room, the book was there, so...
I think my coming to this book now, two weeks after writing about why I know I'm not ready for a relationship right now, and about a month after coming up with my new list principle is totally a God thing. If I had read the book earlier it might not have been so relevant, or struck me so deeply.
Chapter 4 is entitled "Tell Me How, Tell Me Who, Tell Me When! How God Guides You to the Right Thing at the Right Time" and it totally speaks to the things I was thinking about two weeks ago when I wrote about Boys Again. The portion of the chapter subtitled "Wanting It Too Much" really made me look at my desire for a relationship more carefully. Certainly I recognized two weeks ago that I didn't have the proper perspective on relationships, but until I read the chapter I was just denying my wrong desires, rather than changing my desire to be for God.
You know, most of my life I've thought of myself as pretty clever, but it's times like these that I realize just how slow I am; I can understand things, get that flash of insight, pretty easily, but it takes me a really long time to truly get things. ::shakes head:: Thank goodness God is so patient!
At any rate, reading "Boy Meets Girl" has renewed my desire to really work on becoming a Godly person. Even after I wrote my list I was kind of stuck with the belief that I'd start changing myself when I started thinking about relationships. A rather silly thing to think, now that I reflect on it. The time to work on becoming a better, more Christ-like person is always NOW!