Thursday, December 12, 2002
Easily Distracted ^^;;
Whoops, there was something that I was actually thinking about yesterday, BEFORE the Avs game, but because of my excitement over Sakic's 500th goal, I forgot about it when I was posting. ^^;; Sorry, that was a long and confusing sentence.
Anyway, yesterday's paper had an article about "Flying Father Costello," who died at the age of 74, after hitting his head on the ice during a warm-up (he wasn't wearing a helmet). I was really touched and inspired by what a testimony his life was; here's a guy who played in the NHL, won a Stanley Cup, and gave it all up to serve God as a priest. Amazing.
But what struck me the most was the way Father Tim Shea, a close friend, described him: "He likes to distract people into thinking he's really not holy, but when you see how he deals with people and what he does for people, his holiness shines through. He can't camouflage that." I think I'm the opposite way most of the time. Instead of hiding a holiness that I have, I hide my flaws with a holiness that I don't have. And I still need to work a lot on the way I deal with people because I'm pretty distant and uncaring a lot of the time. So yeah, I guess God reminded me that developing a better relationship isn't just about reading my Bible, doing devotions and praying everyday, it's also about changing the way I act to reflect God's love.
Whoops, there was something that I was actually thinking about yesterday, BEFORE the Avs game, but because of my excitement over Sakic's 500th goal, I forgot about it when I was posting. ^^;; Sorry, that was a long and confusing sentence.
Anyway, yesterday's paper had an article about "Flying Father Costello," who died at the age of 74, after hitting his head on the ice during a warm-up (he wasn't wearing a helmet). I was really touched and inspired by what a testimony his life was; here's a guy who played in the NHL, won a Stanley Cup, and gave it all up to serve God as a priest. Amazing.
But what struck me the most was the way Father Tim Shea, a close friend, described him: "He likes to distract people into thinking he's really not holy, but when you see how he deals with people and what he does for people, his holiness shines through. He can't camouflage that." I think I'm the opposite way most of the time. Instead of hiding a holiness that I have, I hide my flaws with a holiness that I don't have. And I still need to work a lot on the way I deal with people because I'm pretty distant and uncaring a lot of the time. So yeah, I guess God reminded me that developing a better relationship isn't just about reading my Bible, doing devotions and praying everyday, it's also about changing the way I act to reflect God's love.